The Byron Coast Visitor Information
Welcome to the Byron Coast
The Byron Coast, located in the northern part of New South Wales, Australia, is a popular tourist destination known for its stunning beaches, lush rainforests, and laid-back vibe. Here's everything you need to know about visiting the Byron Coast.
The nearest airport to the Byron Coast is Ballina Byron Gateway Airport, which is about 30 minutes away by car. You can also fly into Gold Coast Airport, which is a little over an hour away. If you're driving, the Byron Coast is about 2 hours' drive south of Brisbane and 10 hours' drive north of Sydney.
Things to see and do
- Visit the beaches: The Byron Coast is home to some of Australia's most beautiful beaches, including Main Beach, Wategos Beach, and Tallow Beach. Whether you're looking to sunbathe, swim, or surf, there's a beach for everyone here.
- Explore the rainforests: The Byron Coast is also home to several stunning rainforests, including Nightcap National Park and Mount Warning National Park. Take a walk through the lush greenery and experience the beauty of the Australian wilderness.
- Take a whale watching tour: From May to November, humpback whales migrate along the Australian coastline, and the Byron Coast is a great place to spot them. Take a whale watching tour for a chance to see these magnificent creatures up close.
- Visit Cape Byron Lighthouse: The lighthouse is located on the easternmost point of the Australian mainland and offers stunning views of the coastline. It's also a great place to spot dolphins and whales.
Where to stay
There are plenty of accommodation options on the Byron Coast, from luxury resorts to budget-friendly hostels. Some popular options include:
- Byron Bay Beach Hostel: This budget-friendly hostel is located just a short walk from the beach and offers both dorm rooms and private rooms.
- The Byron at Byron Resort and Spa: This luxury resort is set in 45 acres of rainforest and offers spacious suites, a day spa, and an on-site restaurant.
- Elements of Byron: This eco-friendly resort offers private villas and beach houses set in 22 acres of beachfront forest.
Where to eat
The Byron Coast is known for its fresh seafood and organic produce, and there are plenty of great restaurants to choose from. Some popular options include:
- Fishmongers Byron Bay: This fish and chip shop serves up fresh, sustainable seafood in a relaxed, beachside setting.
- Harvest Newrybar: This restaurant, located in the nearby village of Newrybar, offers locally-sourced, seasonal produce in a rustic, countryside setting.
- The Mez Club: This Mediterranean-inspired restaurant and bar offers a wide range of small plates and cocktails in a lively, beachy atmosphere.
When to visit
The Byron Coast is a great place to visit year-round, but the best time to visit depends on what you're looking for. If you want to avoid the crowds, visit outside of the peak summer months from December to February. If you want to spot whales, visit between May and November. And if you want to attend the famous Byron Bay Bluesfest, visit around Easter time.
Thank you for reading our visitor information article about the Byron Coast. We hope you enjoy your stay!